Here are some good ideas for every family to implement in case of an emergency:
Thanks to everyone who participated for a great 2017 Fire Prevention Week campaign. Our 2018 theme will be announced on June 1.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. That’s why our 2017 Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” was so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here were some key campaign messages:
- Draw a map of your home by using our grid in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.